Resources For Veterans

Resources For Veterans

The Michigan Dental Association does not offer programs designed specifically for veterans. Following is a gathering of information from many sources which may be able to provide you with some direction in obtaining the dental care you need.

Qualifying for VA Paid Care

You need to contact your local VA to see if you qualify for services. They will be able to tell you whether you can receive your dental treatment at a VA clinic or whether you can obtain treatment at a local dental office and submit to the VA for payment for your care. You must contact them to receive approval before obtaining dental care.

Veterans are eligible for outpatient care if they are determined by the VA to meet one of the following criteria:

  • Those having a service-connected disability
  • Prisoners of war
  • Those with service connected disabilities rated at 100 percent or those rated at 100 percent by reason of Individual Unemployability (including temporary 100 percent ratings)
  • Those who participate in VA rehabilitation programs are eligible for care needed to complete their programs
  • Recently discharged veterans with a service connected non-compensable dental condition or disability (length of service requirements apply)
  • Those having service-connected non-compensable dental condition related to a combat injury are eligible for care of the service connected condition
  • Those whose dental condition has aggravated another service connected medical condition
  • Other medically necessary dental treatments due to aggravation or complication of VA sanction treatments

Special cases may qualify in addition to the above requirements. Contact your local VA office for more information.

If you are not eligible for treatment through the VA, need application assistance or have other needs, please contact the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency at 800-MICH-VET (800-642-4838).

You may also visit the Michigan Dental Association’s COMMUNITY DENTAL PROGRAMS directory for a list of programs in your area that offer services to anyone who is low income and without insurance.

Transportation Assistance

Through the Transportation Network, DAV volunteers drive sick and disabled veterans to and from VA medical facilities for treatment. The Transportation Network is a clear example of veterans helping veterans. The DAV stepped in to meet a substantial community need when the federal government terminated its program that helped many veterans pay for transportation to VA medical facilities. The DAV has 189 Hospital Service Coordinators around the country who coordinate the transportation needs for disabled veterans.

To locate a program near you, CLICK HERE.

Many church and local programs also exist to help people with transportation to and from medical and dental appointments. Check with your local United Way, churches, or Agency on Aging for information on programs in your area.

Other Resources for Veterans

If you have other health or human resource needs, please consider contacting your local United Way. Just dial 2-1-1 on your telephone to be connected with the United Way health and human services hotline. The United Way can help you find programs to help with needs ranging from medical, housing, mental health, heat, electricity, food, etc. Your local VFW branch can also be of assistance. Many have clubs, committees and volunteers to help address issues of local veterans.

Along with transportation, the United Way, churches and Aging programs may offer other services to individuals in need. Look for programs that assist anyone in need rather than strictly searching for veterans programs.